Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Questions for "The Ethicist"

When we get The New York Times on the weekends, it's always amusing to read "The Ethicist" column in the magazine.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Is it ethical to consume enough samples at a store (in my area, Costco and Stew Leonard's get top billing for product availability) to constitute a meal (if not in protein content, at least in calories and/or fat content)?

2. My local Stop & Shop has a great gas rewards promotion, where if you buy X number of Y products during any given week, you can qualify for up to 40 cents off each gallon of gas purchased at a participating gas station. Is it ethical to buy the products to qualify for the savings, fill up my tank, and then return the items?

3. What about buying enough clothes from an online retailer with a very, very generous and forgiving return policy to qualify for a $20 gift card, only to return before the credit card billing cycle ends so it's a wash?

4. If I happen to find coupons for a free gift card in the recycling bin, can I pretend to be that person so I get the gift card?

5. If I want to use my husband's pricey monthly pass on the train to go into the city -- labeled M for male, so as to deter sharing -- can I just tell the conductor that I've had a sex change operation and yes, it is my monthly pass?

No comments:

Post a Comment